HELP The Breakfast Club NJ (TBCNJ) HELP YOU!
Following is the different ways you can maximize the value that you as a member receives as a member of TBCNJ:
TBCNJ Website http://www.thebreakfastclubnj.com
- How to Join – go to website, on home page click on join, this will take you to TBCNJ Yahoo Group login page – click join this group. If you have a Yahoo ID enter your info – if not create one – Then provide your contact info (name, phone & email) & who your sponsor is (any existing member)
- There is good valuable reference content to help you in your search on the website
TBCNJ Yahoo Group – our primary communication channel
- Manage your membership in the TBCNJ Group
- Use your yahoo groups account to manage your membership (you have it in your control to send how frequently you receive – individually, digest for day, digest for week and even to opt out if you so desire)
- Communicate & Collaborate with the group
- Job Leads & Career Management Advice
- You will receive and can send email to all group members by sending email to email@example.com
- Introduce Yourself
- Take your elevator pitch and put it into an email and introduce yourself to the group, what type of position you are looking for, some companies you are targeting and what you can offer to help others in the group
- Get info on Targeted Companies
- Leverage the group to see who works at, has worked at, or knows someone at companies you are targeting. You can learn about the firms culture, levels, comp structure, etc. all critical pieces of info that could help greatly in your search
- Turn a unknown opportunity to a known opportunity
- Responding to “the black hole” by blindly submitting your resume is the least effective way to get a job. Increase your probability of success by leveraging your network (post to TBCNJ Yahoo Group and see if anyone has knowledge of the employer, go to TBCNJ linkedin and see if anyone work’s there, used to work there, or has contacts there, etc.) Then see if you can get a qualified lead into the company.
- Job Leads & Career Management Advice
TBCNJ Meetup Group – http://www.meetup.com/The-Breakfast-Club-NJ
- Prior to meetings
- Joining the group will alert you to when meetings are taking place, who else is attending, who the presenter is, and overview of topic being presented
- For us it helps us understand how many will be attending and for us to plan accordingly
- If you have seen the presenter and can post a positive comment, please do so. This will help us attract new people to the meeting and group.
- Following the meetings
- You will have the ability to connect with those that attended and in many cases have a pic to help you place a face with the name as many you didn’t have a chance to follow up in person before leaving the meeting
- If you attended the meeting, and can post a positive comment, please do so – and be specific about what you liked about the presenter and/or meeting. This falls under the category of good stewardship, as our presenters are not paid. If we can give them some positive feedback, we should do so.
TBCNJ LinkedIn Group
- Joining LinkedIn Group – After joining the Yahoo Group you will receive an invite from our moderator Don Buehler to join the TBCNJ LinkedIn Group.
- Connecting to everyone in TBCNJ LinkedIn Group – Once you receive and accept the invite and are a member of the TBCNJ LinkedIn group then you must put together a request to connect and send it to each other member of the TBCNJ LinkedIn Group and connect with each member directly.
TBCNJ Facebook Group – TheBreakfastClubNJ to join
- Joining the Facebook Group – After joining the Yahoo Group you can click on the TBCNJ Facebook Group and request.
Google+ – The Breakfast Club NJ
- Joining the Google+ page – After joining the Yahoo Group you can click on the TBCNJ Google+ page.
- If you do not have a Twitter account, create your own Twitter account at www.twitter.com
- Once logged into Twitter, click on the following URL https://twitter.com/breakfastclubnj
- In the upper right hand corner, click the Follow button
A note about our Social Media platforms –
The TBCNJ Social Media platforms were created for the benefit of our members. This is an excellent medium to share any job search or career specific articles. They are an excellent medium to connect and get to know each other between meetings, on a more personal level. And if you are thinking that you keep your personal and professional profiles separate, be advised that your personal profiles, if they exist, are fair game for recruiters and hiring managers. While this may be a cause for concern for some – it can also be an opportunity to put your best (personal) face forward. It can help define and exhibit your personal brand, highlight any volunteering you may be involved in, and differentiate you from other potential candidates. Not having one or more social media profiles can actually make the recruiter or hiring manager wonder , “what is this candidate trying to hide?”.
Another advantage to having at least one Social Media profile is the ability to plant seeds regarding your job search. You don’t necessarily know who your friends’ connections. So if you post that you are looking for a position in a particular industry, maybe the soccer coach or neighbor you are ‘friends’ with may be able to help you. This concept is similar to the ‘Unknown Job Market’ – the unpublished jobs. With social media platforms, unknown connections may be helpful. And who would want to help you more than someone you are already ‘friends’ with?
We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on the 2nd Saturday of the month!