Hello everyone – I am Adrienne Roman, and I am one of the Social Media moderators for The Breakfast Club NJ.
I am thrilled to announce that The Breakfast Club NJ can now be found on Google+! In addition to our The Breakfast Club NJ Social Media suite of platforms on Linkedin, Facebook, and Twitter, we have just added Google+. You will need a Google account to use Google+.
What is Google+?
It is the 2nd largest social networking site after Facebook boasting 540 million active monthly users (Oct 2013). If you look up Google+ in Wikipedia, it gives a comprehensive history and explanation to its terminology and features. Right now, I want to highlight how it can help you in your job search.
Why should I join Google+ and how will it help my job search?
1. Look at the number of users:
According to Wikipedia – Social Media Statistics
• Facebook now has over 1.15 billion users.
• Twitter now has over 550 million registered users and 215 million monthly active users.
• Google+ now has over 1 billion enabled accounts and 359 million active monthly users.
• YouTube has over 1 billion monthly active users.
• As of June 2013, LinkedIn reports more than 259 million users in more than 200 countries and territories.
2. Branding – both professional and personal:
• Simply having another platform enforcing the professional brand you initiated on Linkedin, strengthens your brand.
• ‘Circle’ is a feature that allows for the organization of groups or lists for sharing information either publicly or privately. You can strengthen your brand by joining circles that reflect your area(s) of expertise.
3. Hangouts – multi-person video chat:
• Mobile friendly.
• Free video conferencing for up to 10 people – what a great way for a reunion – work related, college, networking in general.
• Great opportunity to hone those interview skills! There really never seems to be enough time for mock interviews. Google+ is an efficient and effective way for a group to mock interview each other. What would it take for a group to mock interview each other – maybe 3 questions a night for half an hour?
• Opportunity to give back – offer to conduct or evaluate and give feedback on a mock interview.
• Hangout with groups and people that may be out of your geographic range.
• Excellent way to practice for Skype interviews!
4. Convenient Networking:
• The Breakfast Club NJ has over 4000 members. The Google+ platform provides a convenient location for employed members and unemployed members to connect and network outside of the monthly meetings.
• An opportunity to shine (more on this later).
5. A special invitation to hiring managers and recruiters:
• Frequent our page and circles and connect with people to fill positions with qualified candidates at your company.
• Great way for you to find talent.
• It’s free!
• Get to know a prospective employee before making a job offer.
• Post jobs that need to be filled quickly, with just the right person for the job.
An opportunity to shine (I told you we’d get back to this), as well as, an opportunity to give back! This platform will only be successful with member engagement and help. We need volunteers to join Google + and create Circles. And we need members to join circles, and engage in conversation, post, share, etc. What is important to you? Industry? Profession? Geography? Career change? New to transition? LTU? Relocating out of state?
Personally, I would love to see a Circle entitled ‘TBCNJ Landing Success’, with everybody who has landed, posting their success stories. This would be a great way to give back by providing some useful guidance, motivation, and inspiration to the group.
Another thought I have is to have a morning coffee group to meet for a ½ hour or so – bring you own coffee – but do dress appropriately – it is a video chat – people can and will see you. Fuzzy slippers are optional. And to be fair – there should be an afternoon tea group as well. Volunteer moderators are needed for both of these positions.
Please contact me – Adrienne Roman email@example.com to discuss Google + ideas, or if you need any help with Google+.